* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Milk

Beppy on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 15:01PM
Reply #90

Online Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
Unfortunately, Solihull council suppressed the local much used market some years ago. Now all we get are the highly expensive 'Artisan' and foreign food street markets.

We still have a very big indoor market Dm full of butchers, fruiterers, speciality sausage makers, cheeses in fact all weird and wonderful stalls. We have the European traders here at Christmas but they are very expensive selling handmade soaps and knitted goods.

Our market is criss crossed with aisles and one very long aisle is now dedicated to street food which does very well as we have two universities and many colleges in the city.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain..

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”  Abraham Lincoln.

Dickiemint on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 20:39PM
Reply #91

Offline Dickiemint

• yes
Do you know the thing I most remember about Solihull's indoor market was the fake perfume stall, which sold one so close to Mrs DM's favourite perfume I (and most importantly Mrs DM) couldn't tell the difference.  Apart from the ££££s less!

Lila1410 on Sun 17-Mar-2024 | 07:00AM
Reply #92

Online Lila1410

Another thing was fridges, we take fridges & freezers so much for granted now.

When we didn't have them, or in temporary problems of being fridge-less. we notice the difference.

sandgrounder on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 10:08AM
Reply #93

Offline sandgrounder

• mlxmlaml
Remember when semi milk was introduced in the early eighties, was still having the milk delivered to the door, but when I changed over from full milk to seni skimmed, even putting the milk staight into the fridge, it went off very quickly.  So cancelled the milkman and starting getting it from my local supermarket, which I've continued to this day.  Currently getting my two litres of milk from Farmfoods for the last two months for just £1.
Donate blood, just not on the road.

Dickiemint on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 10:57AM
Reply #94

Offline Dickiemint

• yes
We still have the milkman, from 'local' farms. As if Stafford is local to Solihull!  It generally lasts a week.

Beppy on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 11:14AM
Reply #95

Online Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
We still have the milkman, from 'local' farms. As if Stafford is local to Solihull!  It generally lasts a week.

My milk is still delivered in glass bottles Dickie is yours.

I've had my cousin from Cheshire here and he was astounded to see the glass bottles.  :D
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain..

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”  Abraham Lincoln.

Dickiemint on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 12:49PM
Reply #96

Offline Dickiemint

• yes
Yup still glass bottles. We have the option of plastic, which are cheaper, but Mrs DM is old fashioned and quite likes the idea of the glass bottle!

Beppy on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 15:29PM
Reply #97

Online Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
Yup still glass bottles. We have the option of plastic, which are cheaper, but Mrs DM is old fashioned and quite likes the idea of the glass bottle!

I do too.

Hotton on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 15:35PM
Reply #98

Offline Hotton

• hotton
My wife orders a large container of skimmed milk from Sainsbury's. I also drink Alpro including a chocolate one.
For years we had milk delivered but they went to just 3 times a week and then stopped delivering.
hotton

aron on Sun 31-Mar-2024 | 21:40PM
Reply #99

Offline aron

Just drank a glass of whole milk cold and creamy straight from the fridge.. Nothing better.

NZ on Mon 01-Apr-2024 | 19:12PM
Reply #100

Online NZ

When I first came to live in  my present village in 1975 I used to go to the local farm with a small milk can and buy milk straight from the farmer.   After the farmer died the farm no longer had cattle  I had to start buying it in Supermarkets, it  is mostly sold in one litre cardboard containers, not plastic.  Raw milk is still available from farmers but nowhere nearby. I loved the taste of milk straight from the cow.

NEGal on Tue 02-Apr-2024 | 09:16AM
Reply #101

Online NEGal

I have had milk straight from the cow once when staying on a farm as a child and helped milk the cows.
I remember it was very creamy. Or seemed so.

Lila1410 on Tue 02-Apr-2024 | 10:55AM
Reply #102

Online Lila1410

Doesn't it have to be pasteurised nowadays?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal