* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Milk

magellan on Wed 17-May-2023 | 06:25AM
Reply #75

Offline magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • blue skies debater
We were the last in our street to get milk delivered to the doorstep. In the end, we felt sorry for the milkie who got complaints about the electric van's noise and his having to make a special trip to get paid every Friday evening.

Two memories stick in my mind:-

The day all milk in the area disappeared from doorsteps. I don't think it was ever proved but suspicion lay with the nearby travellers site where people had arrived for a funeral.

The day something big and black was visible inside the capped bottle. A call to the dairy brought a very apologetic manager carrying gifts of fresh cream. Probably a slug or snail.
Think first, write after, otherwise edit swiftly

Lila1410 on Wed 17-May-2023 | 07:20AM
Reply #76

Offline Lila1410

Many milkie memories, including one who was murdered for the cash (long ago now, when I was a child. The did know who did it because they boasted about it. Only given short sentences for manslaughter because of their age. And went on persecuting milkie's widow when they came out.

But the reason why I had to give up was that the last one kept such irregular hours and brought milk the wrong days and then out-of-date milk.

Lila1410 on Wed 17-May-2023 | 07:23AM
Reply #77

Offline Lila1410

Of course my mother always had a special affinity with milk people having been one herself. Back when it was the pony and trap. Winter 1941-2.

manwinoname on Tue 27-Feb-2024 | 22:54PM
Reply #78

Offline manwinoname

i cant take milk or anything made with it   because i have lactose intolerance , it upsets my stomach  very badly,

DG on Thu 07-Mar-2024 | 02:52AM
Reply #79

Offline DG

I enjoy 2% Milk

aron on Thu 07-Mar-2024 | 15:59PM
Reply #80

Offline aron

When making coffee in my machine, I like to heat up a good dash of Channel Island full cream milk in the microwave before putting the cup under the coffee maker. This makes a lovely hot creamy coffee.

Dixie on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 00:14AM
Reply #81

Offline Dixie

Gone are the days when you would hear a rattling of bottles,
And you new your milk was on its way
Liked to get it in as soon as possible as the birds would peck the cap on top to get some milk.
Now it’s mainly bought from the supermarkets.

Lila1410 on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 07:07AM
Reply #82

Offline Lila1410

Most of the time when I was working I could not have milk delivered as I would not have been at home. Travel times varied.

there was a time when I could get milk delivered (3 times a week) and the milkman sold eggs, potatoes, bread & orange juice too. But then he left and the one who took over was useless, came on the wrong day, brought out of date milk and juice, so I gave up. Had to buy it on the way home from work, and sometimes it was a long commute, times varied, and corner shops were not reliable. I relied a lot on Marvel then, or evap.

Now it comes from Abel & Cole, once a week, and luckily they have now invented reusable plastic bottles so I put them out for collection.

https://www.abelandcole.co.uk/milk-semi-skimmed-1-litre

Fruit on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 07:47AM
Reply #83

Offline Fruit

Liked to get it in as soon as possible as the birds would peck the cap on top to get some milk.

I remember having to get the milk in before the tits had it.
Live life and be strong

Beppy on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 08:09AM
Reply #84

Offline Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES

I still hear the rattling of bottles Dixie as my milk is delivered, the milkman comes at 5-30 am so fresh milk in glass bottles all year round.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain..

Fruit on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 09:43AM
Reply #85

Offline Fruit

I still hear the rattling of bottles Dixie as my milk is delivered, the milkman comes at 5-30 am so fresh milk in glass bottles all year round.

Long gone around here Beppy . And of course the supermarket is a lot cheaper
Live life and be strong

Beppy on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 12:42PM
Reply #86

Offline Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
Long gone around here Beppy . And of course the supermarket is a lot cheaper

We still have a few dairies here Fruit so we're lucky to have deliveries. The supermarket may be a few pennies cheaper but to have my milk on the doorstep all year round without braving the cold weather in winter is priceless to me. They will also deliver eggs, bread and other things but I shop online so I don't need the extras.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain..

Dickiemint on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 12:51PM
Reply #87

Offline Dickiemint

• yes
We still have milk roundsmen here. Two companies. And, as a sign of the times, we get half a dozen eggs for our next-door neighbours, as the milk companies now demand online payment - no cash. And Mrs next-door is not on the internet.

We swapped companies as the first one started delivering at 11pm, after we'd gone to bed. It meant in the summer having to get up to bring it in.  And the company we presently use delivers at 3 am and pops it in the porch.

They also deliver other stuff, too expensive for us.

The milk is much more expensive than supermarkets, but comes from local farms. As if Stafford is local to here!  Mrs DM believes in using local companies and trying to keep doorstep deliveries alive.

Only tiny problem is the milk sometimes is dated days apart, like this morning.  22nd and 25th.  Makes you wonder if it's been out on a round and come back.
« Last Edit: Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 12:53PM by Dickiemint »

Beppy on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 13:06PM
Reply #88

Offline Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
I'm with Mrs Dm in keeping small businesses going and when in town I always pop into the market for fresh veg all from local farms. Supermarkets have their place but if I can help out by buying local I do.

Dickiemint on Sat 16-Mar-2024 | 13:16PM
Reply #89

Offline Dickiemint

• yes
Unfortunately, Solihull council suppressed the local much used market some years ago. Now all we get are the highly expensive 'Artisan' and foreign food street markets.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal